Wondering how to set up a Netgear DDNS account on your Nighthawk router? Well, wonder no more! We are here to help you out! This post is the ultimate guide through which you will know what Netgear DDNS is and how to set up and configure it on your Nighthawk wireless router. Let’s get started.
What is DDNS?
DDNS stands for Dynamic Domain Name System. It maps the name of a Dynamic DNS account to the IP address that determines the internet connection of a router and computer. Internet Service Providers (ISPs) assign numbers dubbed IP addresses to recognize every internet account. Most ISPs make use of dynamically assigned IP addresses. In simple words, the IP address can change anytime.
You can utilize the IP address to access your network in a remote manner. However, most people don’t know what their IP addresses are and when this number changes. In order to make it simpler to connect, you have to set up an account with Dynamic DNS service that allows you to use a domain name to access your home network.
To make use of this account, you need to set up your Nighthawk router to use Dynamic DNS. After that, the router notifies the Dynamic DNS service provider each time when its IP address changes. The moment you access your Netgear DDNS account, the service determines the current IP address of your home network and automatically connects you.
Set up a Netgear Dynamic DNS Account on Nighthawk Router
Follow the below-given steps to set up a Netgear Dynamic DNS account on your Nighthawk WiFi router:
- Plug your Netgear Nighthawk WiFi router into a power outlet and turn it on.
- Connect the router to your modem using an Ethernet cable.
- Turn on your computer or laptop.
- Open an internet browser of your choice.
- Navigate to routerlogin.net web page.
- When prompted, enter the user ID and passphrase.
- Hit on the Log In button after entering the details.
- The basic home page displays.
- Select the Dynamic DNS option.
- You will be asked a question saying ‘Do you have a Netgear DDNS account?’.
- Choose the No radio button.
- Fill in the required details such as Email, Host Name, and Password.
- Click on the Ok button.
- Now, confirm if your Netgear DDNS account is working.
- For this, click on the Show Status button appearing at the top side of the page.
Done! You have successfully set up your Netgear Dynamic DNS account on your Nighthawk WiFi router. To ensure that your Dynamic Domain Name System account is working properly, keep your Netgear router firmware updated with the latest version.
Unable to Set up a DDNS Account on Your Netgear Router?
Don’t panic! We have got you covered. Follow the below-given troubleshooting steps to fix the issue:
- Power cycle your Netgear Nighthawk WiFi router.
- Cross-check all cable connections. Make sure that no cable is damaged.
- Keep your Nighthawk router at a certain distance away from home security systems, microwave ovens, refrigerators, cordless phones, baby monitors, Bluetooth speakers, and related devices.
If you are still unable to set up your Netgear DDNS account, feel free to get in touch with our knowledgeable and skilled technicians anytime via chat or email.